MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials who have attracted much attention lately, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and possess shown broad application prospects in many fields. This is an in depth introduction to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What exactly is MAX material?
MAX phase material is actually a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material consisting of M, A, X elements on the periodic table, collectively known as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the primary group elements, such as aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, three of the components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding as well as other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is really a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material using the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements with all the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X refers to the aspects of C and/or N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. Max Phase material are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make them have a variety of applications in structural materials. For instance, Ti3SiC2 is a very common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials are also found in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and can be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be utilized in energy materials. For example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which bring a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new kind of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The top of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, and a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually are the etching therapy for the MAX phase and the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties like electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics can be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials composed of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and therefore are widely used in energy storage and conversion. For instance, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Additionally, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the activity and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity may be used in electromagnetic protection. For instance, MXene materials bring electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, and other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be used in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which can realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials can also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics along with other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. In the future, using the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application areas of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. The following aspects can become the main objective of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Later on, new preparation technologies and techniques can be further explored to realize a much more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is definitely high, but there is still room for additional optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment as well as other facets of the fabric can be studied and improved in depth to improve the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be commonly used in lots of fields, but you may still find many potential application areas to get explored. Later on, they could be further expanded, including in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection and other fields.
In summary, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a broad application prospect in lots of fields. With all the continuous progress of science and technology and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application parts of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.