Many of my clients ask me in regards to the big square box within the center portion of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind some self-closing louvers. It’s an entire house fan and it will either benefit home owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and less humid nights
* Apply it as long as the temperature and humidity outside is more favorable than the conditions indoors. Should your air cooling system has become operating in the daytime, and the temperature outside drops lower (however the humidity remains high), don’t turn the tumblr. The vent will suck every one of the humid air into the air conditioned house
* The best time periods to utilize it would be, obviously, early morning and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it may not be smart to bring every one of the pollution to the house. The window screens will stop a few of it, but whole house fans are very powerful and could make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Before you turn the fan on, open several windows and doors as you can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (if they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of your whole house fan (no less than in the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it is going to draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, as an example, from your chimney. If it is a fireplace chimney and also you don’t take away the ashes… well, it’s will be a mess. Should it be a hot water heater / furnace chimney, it might blow from the pilots.
2. When everything is ready, it is possible to activate the full house fan in most cases throughout the next matter of moments you ought to feel a lot of exterior air flowing in your home. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the windows and doors – both need to be balanced to operate properly so that you can really take advantage of the whole house fan operation. Air drawn with the whole house fan must be discharged through the attic vents towards the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created within the attic area may cause air that had been just pulled from the house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps inside the attic wh0le and also the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation may not be enough to support the tumblr.com/ operation; you may need much more to transport everything that extra number of air towards the exterior. As well as the formula to calculate the sq footage of your attic vents required to discharge that air is simple. You just need the size of all of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, plus a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is just a sample, calculate every one of the rooms in your own home you think ought to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – here is the portion of the required attic vents (them all combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. When the house you’re moving into has got the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that it was properly sized up for the purpose (there can be a tag about the unit itself), which would be to replace your house air within just a couple minutes.
5. If you’re usually the one installing the entire house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes for an optimal time for the house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d should divide your house total air volume (6550 cubic feet from my sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That can provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each and every minute).
6. An additional critical thing: louvers of your other are not air tight and get no insulation applied on their surface; they leak air between your house and attic. I would personally recommend installing a complete house fan cover in attic area in order to avoid air drafts during the cold season – don’t forget to take out it when you utilize the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and several people never rely on them, however they might benefit your wallet in the event you apply all of the above. There are currently other sorts of house ventilation systems available: they are more expensive (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more efficient, and provide air flow for long time periods.